Highly Specialist Speech & Language Therapist
I spent 10 years working for the NHS as a Speech and Language Therapist before setting up Hegarty Therapy. I am passionate about supporting children and young people to meet their full potential by breaking down communication barriers. Working independently now, I can offer flexible and intensive therapy packages individualised for each client. I am committed to working closely with parents and schools and I enjoy seeing the difference that therapy makes to a child’s educational experience, well-being and happiness.
Whilst the majority of my current work is in Sussex and the London area, I also have experience with clients in Cambridgeshire and Australia, where I spent one year living and working. I graduated from Leeds Metropolitan University in 2008 with a BSc (honours) 2:1 in Clinical Language Sciences (Speech and Language Therapy). I am also a member of the Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice (ASLTIP).
Additional Qualifications and Accreditations:
- Assessment and Treatment Using the SOS Approach to Feeding. When Children Won’t Eat, Picky Eaters vs. Problem Feeders.
- Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder: An Introduction to Diagnosis and Management with the University of Winchester
- Introduction to PROMPT Workshop (3 days). PROMPT stands for Prompts for Restructuring Oral Muscular Phonetic Targets. It is a tactile-kinesthetic approach to Speech Therapy.
- Lidcombe Program of Early Stuttering Intervention (therapy for children who stammer)
- Michael Palin Parent Child Interaction Therapy (PCI)
- Michael Palin Family Communication Therapy
- Swindon Fluency Trust training for children and young people who stammer
- Makaton Signing Foundation, Enhancement and Baby Signing
- ELKLAN licenced tutor – I am trained to train nursery and school staff in the accredited ELKLAN course
- Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS)
- Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule-2 (ADOS-2). This is a tool used to help identify children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Evidence-Based Intervention for Children with Speech Sound Disorders by Caroline Bowen
- Selective Mutism Training with Maggie Johnson (core and extension levels)
- Manchester University Post Basic Dysphagia Course (feeding and swallowing)
- Coaching To Improve Performance, a 2 day course by East Sussex County Council
- Therapy Outcome Measure (TOM) workshop by Pam Enderby
- Placement Educator Workshop (Universities at Medway)
- Protective Behaviours (PB) Practitioner Training. This is a safety awareness and resilience building programme which helps children and adults to recognise any situation where they feel worried or emotionally unsafe and it explores practical ways to keep safe.