Highly Specialist Speech and Language Therapist
I currently combine my work for Hegarty Therapy with my role as a Highly Specialist Speech and Language Therapist in the NHS. I’m passionate and enthusiastic about many areas of speech and language therapy and my particular specialism is working with children and young people with special needs. I have gained a broad range of training and experience, both in the UK and USA. I really enjoy engaging with children and their families to offer personalised, meaningful communication goals to support their daily life, both at home and in their education settings. It’s important to me to consider the ‘whole picture’ and explore all the different ways communication plays a part in our well-being, relationships and overall experience of the world. My sessions aim to be fun, engaging, playful and imaginative to enable children to learn easily and comfortably.
My clinical skills include working with children with autistic spectrum disorder (ASD), a range of genetic disorders such as Down Syndrome, motor conditions such as cerebral palsy and global developmental delay (GDD). I have further experience in stammering, speech sound delay/disorder and language delay. I also enjoy training parents, education staff and other health professionals and have years of experience running a range of courses.
I graduated in 2013 from City, University of London with an MSc in Speech and Language Therapy. I am registered with the Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC) and I am a Certified Member of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT).
Additional qualifications and accreditations:
- Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS)
- Elklan Licenced Tutor for all packages and age ranges
- Attention Autism
- Hanen It Takes Two To Talk
- Hanen More Than Words
- Sequential Oral Sensory (SOS) approach to feeding
- Fragile Infant Feeding Institute training for support in tube feeding, tube weaning and oral motor skills in infants
- Michael Palin Parent Child Interaction (PCI) for children who stammer
- Roffey Park Leadership Training, ‘Developing Excellence, Together’
- Makaton Signing foundation and enhancement modules
- PLAY Project, an intervention for children with ASD birth-5 years
- Introduction to Infant Mental Health, including attachment theory and intervention strategies for supporting stressors in children and families